Bourn Church of England Primary Academy

What To Do If You Have a Concern

We are here to help

We try our hardest to provide the best education and care for your children and the best service for you as parents. As a teaching team, we have well over 100 combined years of working with children and have dealt with a wide range of social, emotional, educational and safeguarding issues. We are here to offer advice and support to parents and children and we are also able to refer to a range of additional services, so please do not hesitate to contact us.

There will always be occasions when children fall out, or have difficulties with each other and we understand that this can be very upsetting for children and therefore also for parents. This is a normal part of childhood, and it is important that we support children in being able to resolve issues independently where they can. However, there will be times when the adults in a child's life need to step in and we will work with you to help resolve issues that arise. In these situations, we are guided by our values of friendship and forgiveness and will always work with all children involved to build better relationships. 

There may also be times when you need to seek advice in relation to your child’s educational, social or emotional difficulties. It is important that if you have concerns in these areas, that you contact the class teacher as soon as possible.  

There may be other times, when, despite our best efforts, you feel that the school has not lived up to your expectations. We know that we will not always get things right and you may have a concern about any aspect of the school's provision. We welcome constructive feedback and will aim to respond by explaining why we do/have done certain things, or by improving our practice if possible and reasonable. 

Our vision states that, 'we work together in friendship, challenging ourselves and each other to be the best that we can be'. We aim to fulfil this aim, and ask that parents approach concerns in the same way and are respectful in their interactions with all members of staff. 

First Step

In the first instance, please speak to your child’s teacher if you have a concern. If there has been an issue relating to friendships, or an incident, it is really useful to let your child's teacher have as much information as possible so that they are able to find out more about what might have happened as there are always two (or more) sides to every story. 

If you have concerns about your child’s progress or attainment, or you think your child may have special educational needs, please contact your child’s teacher in the first instance. If appropriate, your child's teacher may also seek advice from the school's Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator, Helen Culley. 

Please also contact you child's teacher if you are concerned about your child's social or emotional well-being. This might be as a result of family circumstances, or other issues, or sometimes you might not know the cause. We can help and advise and put in place various things to support your child in school. 

If something is concerning you, please do not wait for a parent consultation appointment. We would much rather address an issue sooner rather than later and we do not want parents to worry. 

Staff Email Addresses                     Acorn Class Teacher                   Willow Class Teacher                          Hazel Class Teacher                    Cedar Class Teacher              Rosewood Class Teacher               Cherry Class Teacher & Assistant Head                       Cherry Class Teacher & Assistant Head                  Oak Class Teacher                            Headteacher

If Your Issue is Not Resolved

If your issue is not satisfactorily addressed by the class teacher, please contact either of the Assistant Headteachers (Helen Culley or Sarah Wheatman) or the Headteacher (Laura Latham) by emailing directly or via It will be very helpful at this stage for you to email outlining the issue, and why you feel it has not been resolved. We will work hard to resolve the issue, and discuss this with you, which may be via emails, phone calls, zoom meetings or discussions in person. 

Making a Formal Complaint

If, after following the steps above, you do not feel that the issue has been satisfactorily resolved and you wish to make a formal complaint, to the Headteacher please see the Complaints Policy below. You are also able to ask the office for a paper copy of this policy and the Complaint Form.  To make a formal complaint, the Complaint Form should be submitted within 90 calendar days of the issue causing the complaint. 

Complaints Policy and Procedure