The School gained Health Promoting School status. This is an integral part of school life.
Children are encouraged to enjoy a healthy snack at break time, either from home or the healthy snack bar. Children are taught the importance of a balanced and varied diet and have access to drinking water throughout the day.
*Please Note: Bourn Primary is kept nut-free to protect everyone who has a nut allergy. Please do not include nuts of any kind in your child’s snacks or lunchboxes.
HEALTHIER LUNCHBOX CHECKLIST
Aim to include:
1. A good portion of starchy food, e.g. wholegrain bap, thick sliced wholemeal bread, chapatti, pitta pocket, pasta or rice salad;
2. two or three portions of fruit and vegetables, e.g. an apple, satsuma, handful of cherry tomatoes or carrot sticks or small box of raisins;
3. a portion of semi-skimmed milk or dairy food, e.g. reduced fat cheese portion, pot of yogurt or fromage frais;
4. a portion of lean meat, fish or alternative, e.g. ham, chicken, beef, tuna, egg, or hummus;
5. a drink, e.g. unsweetened pure fruit juice, semi skimmed milk, water or yoghurt drink.
Enjoy your lunch!
If your child would prefer a hot, cooked meal at lunchtime, please look at the Bourn Bistro page for the menu and more information.
All Key Stage 1 pupils are eligible for a free school lunch each day.
(The above lunchbox checklist applies to all healthy children over five years of age, and can be gradually applied for pre-school children. When choosing products for healthier lunchboxes, you should try to choose those lower in salt, fat and sugar.)